Thursday, April 30, 2009
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
- must I always have all out marathons down to the wire in my life? (another 12 hour day today, and my list still looks suspciously long
- found someone today who has 9000 books, what better person to come take mine away?
- tonight I bailed on a taxi, my gut: driver'd been drinking, got out at a McDonalds, then got a new cab, called it in, dispatch didn't give a damn
- I guess a strawberry sundae for dinner isn't real nutrition, is it? at least I am keeping the cows in business
- wow, I am down to the 60 day countdown to Europe, I can't believe I cooked up the whole trip thing in about 10 days a couple months ago, and here I am...
- Nice lunch today with a colleague/friend - she took me out for a "Despedida lunch" which is a Spanish goodbye before a long trip... nice sitting outside at a Cactus Club despite being right by a highway, the fountains balance it out
- I really need to see Vicky Christie Barcelona - sounds like a weekend thing
- Oh, my whole life will be a weekend soon...
- 2 people today suggested I become a tatoo artist.... my mouth gaped... wow... never occured to me... I could doodle on bodies!!
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
- Soon I will be officially counting down to Europe - 61 days to go
- Wonder what the swine flu reality will be by then
- 2 months ago Europe was just a vague idea
- Cute story on the news about a cat with a litter in an animal shelter adopting a baby squirrel, very cute
- My place looks, well, chaotic - have given away my sofa and some bookcases, there are books everywhere
- My client for my ongoing contract work is allowing me to put their work on hold until I get a 4 day weekend in - yeah!
- I am having fun giving away art at work
- I am happy it is sunny out
Sunday, April 26, 2009
- felt great to clean out my cube
- loved putting gifts on people's desks
- I have already written my farewell email
- I'm energized
- My last day is 3 days before my 5 year anniversary
- I feel great, but I suspect I will cry - and I am ok with that
- I am really enjoying sharing my art
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Time is ticking away..... some random reflections on being down to 6 days left at work..
I am having some of the most interesting conversations with people since I worked there. Some are because I am asking to meet to learn about their travel tips, often people I don't know well, and I am learning a lot about their lives. Some are just spontaneous openness inspired by my trip, I am struck by how much people are noticing the courage such a move is taking. I'm used to it now, but it's very cool to be inspiring people. It's funny, I feel like I am making new friends by opening up more. If I have any regrets, it's that I didn't take time to get to know more people better over the years.
Other random thoughts...
- My list doesn't seem to be getting shorter, though it's no longer getting longer.
- I am so running out of steam
- I am ready to go
- But I am sad to leave too, or, better said, a bit nostalgic
- I sometimes think, gee, I'm glad I won't be there to sort that out later! (a bit of a guilty pleasure)
- I am becoming aware of just how much is hidden away in my brain, that no one else knows - yet
- I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Thursday, April 16, 2009
- how did i go 2 weeks without updating this? oh, yeah, messed up internet connections suck..
- delighted with my teensy new laptop - 13" and only 4lbs
- watching the last period of the Canucks 1st playoff game... I wonder if I should go to a game?
- Interesting that I ran into Fin downtown this morning.... gave a friend at work the towel he gave me, she is going to give it to her little girl, who is going to be thrilled - especially because Fin actually touched it!
- 11 more business days of work left
- 73 days until I leave for Europe
- there are a lot of details one has to take care of to go away for a year... lately I am adding to the list, but only striking a few things off
- I am having a blast talking with people who have lived in the cities I will be visting, or have done extensive travel - getting great tips
- 8 hour sleep tonight would do me wonders
- Nov and Dec are Greece - must post pics of my places soon
- Cool that I discovered that U2 is playing in Barcelona when I'm there
- Concerts in Europe are expensive!