Sunday, April 26, 2020

Fake journals: I love it... and I missed it!


Fake journal? What's that?

I discovered it by accident, after clicking on the 'View my complete profile' to learn more about an interesting new-to-me blogger I'd found on Blogger (MHBD's Blog). That took me here, to MHBD's Fake Journal. After puzzling over it a bit, and not quite getting the premise, I turned to Google.

'What is Fake Journal Month?' took me to the Official International Fake Journal Blog, where I learned about the concept, it's creator, and it's 18 year history.

Although I was disappointed to learn that the IFJM had ended, and why, I was still curious as the the premise, especially when I learned that the founder was continuing the practice in private. Ah, there it is, the value of the fake journal was really for the individual, shared or not. That made me curious about those benefits.

Some highlights from the What is International Fake Journal Month page:
What is IFJM? Basically it’s a free pass to put anything in a journal that you might not otherwise put in. At least that’s one way to see it. From April first to April 30, you are encouraged to keep a fake journal different from and outside of your regular visual journal. Take on a new persona, alter ego, or be the same person you are now, except in an alternate universe. 
  • Maybe you are a cat person and always draw cats, well for April you’ll start a fake journal and just draw birds, with a passion, as if they were the most important animal on the planet. 
  • Maybe you want to live somewhere else? Well make a daily journal as if you are already there. 
  • Perhaps you are always working in pencil. Now is the time to become that artist who always works in pen, just go for it. 
  • Or if you are always image heavy in your journal, spend some time writing, pages and pages.
Interesting concept, eh? I think I may try it out. What twist will I take? I'm not sure, but one idea comes to mind: I draw daily and my doodles almost always include faces; I could challenge myself to just draw abstract for a month, and journal the experience. Will have to see. Thinking about a month later this year to do it.

No comments: