Monday, May 18, 2020

Do you prefer physical books or audiobooks?

That's the question I answered in a Goodreads poll today. Then I posted this:


I voted audiobooks, but I will clarify.

Always love a book I can hold in my hands.

As technology started taking a greater role in my life, I started reading less. I didn't even notice at first. Then I noticed my concentration started to slip, and so began a slow slide. I was listening to podcasts, a lot, and found I enjoyed drawing at the same time. And once I was drawing a couple hours a day, I found I had less time for reading.

Audiobooks saved me.

I started listening to Audible books about 3 years ago, and have 'read' more in that time than the previous 6-7 years. What I like about an audiobook is that I can draw while I am listening. I always have one on the go.

To me it's more about the convenience and the ability to draw while reading, but I do enjoy the narration (when it's a good narrator!). The great thing is that this brought me back to physical books, which I am enjoying again. Now when I have two books on the go, it's one of each.

I don't think audiobooks should be scorned, but I will never try to convince you that they are better than a physical book, or that you should give them up.

I will always believe in books and my shelves are still full.

No comments: