Tuesday, March 09, 2021

Alice Koller


 An Unknown Woman by Alice Koller became best seller, but to me it was just a pivotal book that I enjoyed immensely. 

Interestingly, I ‘discovered’ it when it was sitting atop a stack of books in a bedroom in a decorating magazine. I liked the room, and became curious about occupant, so pulled out my magnifying glass and copied down the title and author. Bizarre but true. 

Her story of selling everything, getting a dog and hiking up in a cabin on the beach in Maine in the winter appealed. *

I was thinking of the book today, on International Women’s Day, and looked to see if it was on Audible, sadly not. Though I probably have a copy around here somewhere ...,

In the process,I discovered that she passed away in 2020. Alice Koller dead at 94 - New York Times

*As a side note, I also enjoyed May Sarton’s Journal of Solitude, penned in a similar setting.

1 comment:

lsmith said...

I read and loved Alice Koller’s books in my twenties, and am just rediscovering them now. What popped into my mind as I was reading about her self-described effort to understand emotions today was...Asperger’s. I wonder if she had a high-functioning form of it, long before it was really known about or defined.