Tuesday, May 05, 2009

A week in Aix-en-Provence!


I have just secured this wonderful apartment in Aix-en-Provence for a week, very excited!

I have had an interesting experience figuring out what to do between Barcelona and Paris, as I had 7 nights open. As I've been able to book mostly apartments for a month, with a couple of months of shared accomodation thrown in, all for not much more than my rent here at home, I was quite cognizant of my budget. Yet wanted a special experience somewhere new for this period. But, of course, it's peak season in Spain and France. I'd looked at San Sebastian, Nice, Antibes, Arles, Avignon and more... all expensive, then, bingo, this weekend, figured out where I wanted to go: Aix-en-Provence.

What drew me to this wonderful town is a special Picasso-Cezanne exhibition at the Musee Granet celebrating Cezanne's influence on Picasso. There are several exhibits - plus the Château de Vauvenargues where Pablo Picasso lived between 1959 and 1965 will open its doors to the public during the exhibit. As I am pursuing Picasso's works throughout my trip, it was an easy decision once I learned the exhibit was on. I also love Cezanne, so it's extra special. I was very glad I ran across the exhibit's info on the weekend, as this was 'made for me'. I'd also seen Aix-en-Provence on a few TV shows recently and it sounded charming. My timing also means that I will catch the last few days of a music festival there, a bonus.

So.... my place in the centre of Aix-en-Provence is a sweet transition spot for me. And a nice balance to all my big-city time. This charming mansion was once the home of Carmelite nuns and has been converted into seven apartments. After 4 weeks in Barcelona on the 4th floor of a flat without an elevator, this 2nd floor flat with air conditioning and a jacuzzi will be pure heaven....

It will also be a great intro to Southern France. I'll probably be back in the area at some point, as there is a Picasso museum in Antibes I want to visit, maybe in the new year....

No comments: