Friday, November 13, 2009

Leaving Berlin

I wrote this bit offline on my iPod when I was at the airport leaving Berlin - on November 9th, the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall - on my way to Greece...How interesting it was, as it hit me, hearing that a flight for Moscow is now open for boarding!! That is something I have never heard before.

What ensued was a feeling, a desire, to just go somewhere, like that, or anywhere without a plan. To go to an airport, see what flights are available, and just hop on, and take it from there. The small matter of the cost of the ticket did not occur to me in that moment... Heh... But that's a new level of comfort in travel that is new to me. And, the freedom, just to think like this !!

Ok, I managed to make a connection, weak as it is, to the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall - which is happening today as I leave. Freedom and freedom.

The other twist I've taken today is to celebrate the anniversary by being one of the ones who leaves Berlin today with a freedom of movement that not all had 20 years ago.

Maybe there is someone on this flight from East Berlin.... Now, that's freedom!

If you missed why I was leaving Berlin on such a momentous day, click here. UPDATE: To clarify, I did manage to stay for the U2 concert though - click here for details ;-)

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

Love your description of the feeling of going to an airport and seeing what flights were available and just...going. Amazing! I hope to feel that free and confident one day. You inspire me Roberta. ;-)