Tuesday, June 15, 2010

An update and random reflections....

A few pics from my time on the island so far....
Down on Clover Point at dusk.... My mom with my niece Caelin Rose and her boyfriend Tom at her graduation... aka G'ma and her granddaughter!
I tried to sneak a pic of my proud brother-in-law Brian at the grad ceremony and I got caught. The cuties in the foreground are my brother Doug and his daughter Kat (my niece;-).
ok, so once again, my pics aren't in any particular order.... Back to Clover Point...
It turns out I was there just in time, as I managed to catch the little red person escaped from the UFO that must have been lurking nearby.... heh....
I wasn't the only one out there, but I don't think they were aliens....
I don't think she's an alien either, though many may disagree.... ;-)
A fountain at Camosun College. Those are my wheels in the background.
and another view...
Mom and Sir John. A.
It was exciting to be here in Victoria on the day our Navy turned 100. We saw this CBC TV report being recorded, and I took a wee video of it (link is at the bottom of the page, includes him running to catch up with the parade....)
Mom and me goofing as we waited for the parade to start.
Waiting for the action to get underway...
This was another trip to Clover Point. More goofing around.
This is Maui, who we call mom's Gentleman Caller. He doesn't live with us, but sometimes you'd never know. We love to watch him lap up his milk.

So............................. Nope, I'm not missing in action, just been busy and less connected to this thing we call the internet. But in response to some 'complaints' that I am not blogging enough ;-) here is an update of what I have been up to since I moved to Sidney at the end of April....

  • Just finished my fourth trip to Vancouver in 6 weeks - 2 for contract work, 1 for pleasure, and 1 for my niece's awesome grad

  • I took a 1 day travel writer's course with Yvonne Blomer at Camosun College in Victoria and met a group of other amazing women with similar interests; we plan to get together every month or two

  • I saw Pico Iyer speak in Victoria (thanks to someone in my travel writing group who let us know about it - and I met up with some of them there) - the talk was called Defining Culture and the Place We Call Home - and it was wonderful... he was funny, insightful and a melodic voice that was mesmerizing

  • I have joined a group of artists in Victoria - Artists in Motion - and I must say, it is entirely inspiring to be in the company of "real" artists who make their living from their creations

  • To give me some "space" to create myself, and do some writing, I've managed to secure a corner of a room that is used as a studio by four artists

  • Living with my 88 year old mom is a whole different world... and I am adapting well... she is such a sweetheart and appreciative of any help - all while chugging along with her great sense of humour....

  • Planning ahead for an Alaska cruise with my mom and sister at the end of July

  • Also planning for a trip to the Big Apple in August with my best friend Kelly for about 10 days together, then another week or on my own - timed to coincide with a special Picasso exhibit at the Met that goes to August 15th

OK, I'm hoping this gets me off the hook for a bit.... ;-)

PS - this was the little parade clip....

No comments: