Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Barcelona is a sea of....

... phallic symbols!

Everywhere I look... really!
The first one here is from Antoni Gaudi's fantabulous Le Pederera building. This has truly been one of the trip's highlights, and I might even pay to see it again before I leave Barcelona (or at least drop by the exhibit space). I have tons of pics, and even did some doodles while I was up on the roof, will upload those soon.... Anyways, I can't believe none of the guidebooks talk about the symbolism here... ;-) Barcelona is full of Gaudi's work, so I anticipate many more pics and awesome moments to come.... This next one is from Parc Miro and is called Dona i Ocell. I only discovered Joan Miro last year (how did I not know about him!?!) and I adore his paintings. Imagine my delight to discover he did sculptures as well... there is a reflecting pool at the base of this magnificent piece (pun intended), and I sat there and cooled my toes the other day. At least the guide books said the reason to go see this one! I am looking forward to seeing more of his works at Fundació Joan Miró soon.
So, after a very hot day out and about in Barcelona, I go to this little bar that has become a fav, and as I nursed my very large very ice cold excellent beer, and reflect on all this symbolism, I look around, and what do I see?

This grafitti was across the street from the bar (I took this from inside the bar)....
... and I gaze up at the bar itself, and there on the top shelf is an ancient gourd, saved for only one reason, I am sure!

So, I guess this is what a girl blogs about when it's 2am and not long home from my evening out... I have taken TONS more pictures, and have been actively journalling, just haven't been sitting at the computer a lot..... All 4 now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking good on the top level of that bus!!! I it pouring here in Van! Super chilly too! I love checking out your photos on your blog!
See ya soon!
xo
B

Roberta said...

Hey B, see ya soon in Paris, eh? Looking forward to it... bet you cannot be peeled off the ceiling at this point... xoxoxo Roberta