Saturday, November 02, 2019

Simply brilliant: Be My Eyes


Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

That's really all I could say when I learned about the Be My Eyes app and community.

Imagine being sight impaired and not being able to tell if your socks match, or what intersection you are standing at, or what gate your flight will depart from.

Now imagine the magic that transpires when with a tap a volunteer connects using a video interface that acts like eyes, saying, "that shirt is green", "the corner of Main Street and Johnson Road", or "flight 247 to Boston is on time will depart from gate G27 at 10:25".

Brilliant. Simply brilliant.


FYI, I learned about this brilliant app while listening to episode 200 of CBC's Podcast Playlist.

Listen to the podcast
Resources:
Be My Eyes Blog
Be My Eyes Podcast
Be My Eyes on Twitter

If you want the full lowdown, here's the full description from the Be My Eyes website:

Be My Eyes is a global community that connects people who are blind or have low vision with sighted volunteers or company representatives. On the app, volunteers assist blind and low-vision users through a live video connection and work together to tackle challenges and handle a wide range of tasks. With the Specialized Help feature, blind and low-vision users can connect with company representatives for accessibile customer support. The app harnesses the power of generosity, technology and human connection to help blind and low-vision people lead more independent lives. Be My Eyes is accessible in more than 150 countries worldwide and in over 180 languages. The app is free and available for both iOS and Android.

No comments: