Thursday, May 28, 2020

You would have been 71

May 28, 2020

Carol Leigh

You would have turned 71 today
If only you were still here
I never had to calculate your age, as I would just add 10 years to my own age
At 61, I have already lived so many years longer than you
While I came to accept your death, I simultaneously could never quite grasp the it of it all
You were so full of life
Always my big sister
You had such amazing perspectives 
Not only did you know the histories of all religions, but you celebrated them all
Not one to be knocked down, no matter what curve balls life dealt you, you always looked at what laid ahead as an adventure 
I can hear you saying
It's not what I would have chosen, but it's where I am
I might as well enjoy it
You taught me this so well
You equipped me well
To face the world without you
I am not often lonely, but sometimes when I think of you, I feel lonely
I miss you so much
You taught me to embrace life
You taught me to make the best of any situation 
You taught me that I am strong enough to survive anything
Even when it seems I can't imagine surviving life without being able to talk things out with you
Oh, our grand telephone marathons, how we would sometimes go on for hours
Long enough that we needed pee breaks
Today I am thinking about how I would meet you
Every other Friday night
Downtown 
At the Bay
We'd dine in the Bay's glorious rooftop buffet
Where one could sit for hours
We loved meeting here because it was next to the furniture department 
They had all these living scenes set up
Living rooms you could step into
Where you could imagine your life
You could sit back in an easy chair
Or perch on an ottoman
And imagine living in the space
We met there because either of could arrive first
And amuse oneself for hours, til the other arrived
I was so young and green
And you gave me big sisterly advice
I knew how to live as a young woman in the big city
Because of you
There wasn't a problem you couldn't solve
Or help me solve
And on the way we'd examine all the possibilities of what could come next
And the opportunity in each
I never felt daunted by life
Except
Perhaps
Weekend mornings when I was living in the West End
And would go out for coffee
And think, no
This doesn't seem right
I should be with Carol right now
But you were gone
Once or twice every weekend I would see you
At your hospice
Sometimes picking you up to take you for a drive
Oh, how you loved those drives!
You who had lost your ability to explore 
Could once again travel the streets
Coast through Stanley Park
Enjoying sun snd rain
Fresh air and memories
And we would talk, and talk, and talk
I was at a total loss when you were gone
I would go out for coffee
But not quite relax
It was quite a shock, to be there, alone
Without you
Without you to visit
Without you to talk to 
Without you
In this place that you encouraged me to move to
How would I enjoy it
Without you to share it with?
An existential moment
A moment of reckoning
Many moments
But slowly
Alas
I had the strength to carry on without you
Even though a part of me broke inside
I had those lessons
It's not the life I would have chosen
This living without you
But I did
I am 
I know there is a lot I have pushed
Down and away
But never did I look at bleakness ahead
I saw opportunity and possibilities ahead
I could turn my energy to embracing where I was at the moment
Counting my blessings 
Digging deep
And, eventually, living again seemed normal
I stopped feeling at a loss
Because I'd much rather visit you
Than have coffee by myself
I was ok
I am ok
So many memories float through my mind this morning 
My heart
My soul
I miss you terribly big sister
But you are always here with me
I feel your presence often
And I feel your lessons always
Love you forever Carol Leigh



3 comments:

Lorelie Shoesmith said...

Roberta. I had know idea what I was getting into when I started reading this. How completely beautiful...I needed a tissue to get me through. I feel the fullness of your relationship with your sister and the utter depth her loss is to you. Thank you for sharing. - Lorelie

Unknown said...

Very nice, a touching write up of your memories of your time with Carol Leigh that will leave me thinking of her and you.

Unknown said...

So beautiful. I just lost my older brother a couple of weeks ago and needed to see this post.