Saturday, January 27, 2024

My Tolstoy adventure

 I am embarking on an adventure: reading all the works of Leo Tolstoy. It's part of a Meetup group. We are meeting once or twice a month, so I think it will take about 2 years (!)...

I am reading via listening on Audible. This is the best collection I found:

The Leo Tolstoy Complete Collection
War and Peace; Anna Karenina; Resurrection; Short Stories; Novellas; and Non-Fiction
Written by: Leo Tolstoy
Narrated by: Jonathan Keeble, Malk Williams, Emma Gregory
Length: 186 hrs and 39 mins
Public Domain (P)2023 SNR Audio

Includes:

Novels

  • War and Peace
  • Anna Karenina
  • Resurrection

Novellas and Short Stories

  • The Death of Ivan Ilyich
  • Childhood (read, my first Tolstoy, loved it!!!!)
  • Boyhood (read, loved it)
  • Youth (read, very good)
  • Family Happiness - up next!
  • The Cossacks
  • The Kreutzer Sonata
  • The Forged Coupon
  • Hadji Murat
  • Sevastopol Sketches (read - it was ok, war-heavy)
  • The Coffee-House of Surat
  • Master and Man
  • How Much Land Does a Man Need?
  • Alyosha the Pot
  • Ivan the Fool

Non-Fiction

  • The Kingdom of God Is Within You
  • A Confession
  • The Inevitable Revolution
  • What Is Art?

Also reading, from Kindle:

  • Landowner's Morning (read, liked it)
  • Two Hossars (missed this one, will come back to it)

We are doing them in the sequence, in the order he wrote them. Childhood is up first. 

Update: adding notes for myself on what I've read so far...

No comments: