Friday, March 20, 2020

All quiet


It is 2:36 am. I woke up about 10 minutes ago, and in that time, I heard one truck go by. But that's it. No cars, no taxis, I can't even hear any traffic on Douglas. So eerie.

I live in the middle of it all in downtown Victoria, in what is usually a cacophony of cars, sirens, honking, voices, yelling, singing, and so on. Add to this the banging as the adjacent businesses take out their garbage and cardboard to the bins below my window. I happen to love being right here; the noise doesn't bother me, and is often entertaining. So the silence is so unusual.

It's early Friday morning, so I expect the most stunning silence will be in 24 hours, as the peeps who normally go clubbing will presumably have nowhere to go. No middle-of-the-night drunken antics on the street below.

And I've heard almost nothing since I started writing this, maybe 4/5 cars in 18 minutes.

Will write some reflections at a later time.

No comments: