Wednesday, August 05, 2009

My week in Aix wraps up

It is the evening of August 5th and I have a few "chores" to do before my departure to Paris tomorrow morning, namely packing, updating my blog and drinking 1/2 a bottle of wine I still had sitting in the fridge. Have begun all 3...


This is me at Place de 4 Dauphins, on my way to the Picasso-Cezanne exhibit... if only that water really was cooling off my head!

Here are the dolphins, sans girl, really quite lovely...

It is easy for Cezanne fans to find all the sights here... Interestingly, Cezanne wasn't acknowledged for his genius in his home town of Aix until after his death. Kind of sad. But they've certainly made up for it now...


Me, relaxing after the Picasso-Cezanne exhibit, tired but inspired.... At some cafes/bars here they bring around little appies for free at an hour I didn't figure out, but managed to stumble on twice....
Mail delivery in the old town... the guy just leans his bike against a wall or lampost while he makes his deliveries, all the bags left open.... nice journey back to simpler times for North Americans...
I tried to order 1 croissant a few days ago, but it turned into 2 chocolate croissants.... blame my charming French waiter! They melted in my mouth.... and were so good I went back for another dose the next day....
In the hallway of the apartment building where I am staying. Wow. Was surprised - but then again, not surprised - to see that my flat is featured in Alistar Sawday's "Special Places to Stay - French Holiday Homes" (entry 367). My oh my, how classy I am staying.... Honestly, this was cheaper than a crappy motel room a bus ride outside of town.... and it has been truly heaven. This is my one big treat during my trip and it has been worth every penny.
Click on this pic to enlarge it, these guys expressions are priceless. They would look spectacular if restored...
They have the cutest little bus that navigates the old city streets here, it is smaller than a North American mini-van... Very cute, but never took it myself, as I was fortunate to be within walking distance of everything!

Just your average apartment bulding doorway..... LOL! Honestly, if you just look around you as you walk down the streets here, you see the most remarkable things....

My shopping trip yesterday. Not pictured: my still-warm baguette from Paul the baker. The mint cucumber cold soup was maaarvelllous!!!!!
One of two bands I saw playing on the streets of Aix yesterday, both of which I bought CDs of. This group was called Blue Mary. I video'd a bit too, and will upload it to youtube when I have time...
Yesterday's other band, these guys were called Jazz a L'oLive, really awesome. A nice way to waste away a relaxing afternoon for me....
I honestly saw this lady walking down the street the other day, I think she was for real, not in a costume ;-)
Aix cement mixer working.... taken from my window... ;-)


The true highlight of my trip here has been two Picasso exhibits that have me "full".... I am going to do a separate blog post about them, tho not sure if I will get to it tonight....

A few other random reflections and notes I want to capture:
  • Don't think I noted the last book I read in Barcelona: "The Well of Loneliness" by Radclyffe Hall - an important book that, alas, I had never heard of before. Quite enjoyed it but was a bit put off by the ending.... would still recommend it though.Was delighted that my apartment here in Aix had bookcases full of English books! The first book I read here "Weekend in Paris" by Robyn Sisman - a very light read but quite fun, as Paris is my next destinationThen I started reading Eric Newby's "On the Shores of the Mediterranean" which is a much slower read, although thoroughly enjoyable.... unfortunately I have not finished before my departure.... will either need to find a copy in Paris or borrow and mail back...
  • One thing I have enjoyed about Aix, that I didn't experience in Barcelona, is that it cools off at night, it is such a relief and makes a big difference to my energy level
  • There is a jacuzzi tub in this place, but.... even a warm bath seems counter intuitnive at the moment
  • I think Bill Clinton did an awesome thing getting those gilrls out of North Korea
  • I am going to buy myself a rolling suitcase in Paris. I don't know what I had in mind when I decided to backpack, probably some romantic dream of it being so easy, but, heck, I'm not 25, or 35... hell, I'm not even 45 anymore! I don't need to be a hero. And every advantage of a pack that I thought was clear to me has entirely vanished. So, tomorrow is my last day of heavy slugging with all my stuff on my back...
  • Oh, my Spanish cell phone is going in the garbage... despite what I told them I needed, they sold me a locked phone that I could not put a sim card in here.... Bought a new one from a place called The Phone House (is this part of CarPhone Warehouse, I wonder?) that DOES work all over Europe, so it's a French cell phone for now... and will become a Roman in September.
  • Oh, I found a BLACK SKETCHBOOK here!!!! Never could find one at home. It's small enough that it can fit in my purse, and it has black pages, which are my fav to doodle on. I am over the top happy!!!!

With that, I'd better go pack, as I really have done more on the blog and wine fronts than on the packing front, and I'd like a good night's sleep before my trip tomorrow (versus maybe 3 hours sleep I got when I left Barcelona, up late drinking beer and shooting the breeze....). All 4 now....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Roberta,
The Phone House is a Carphone Warehouse thing--I just learned that last week from a woman with a fantastically heavy Scottish accent (at least I think that's what she said).
I'm really enjoying following your adventures and looking forward to Paris!
-Nancy Lacroix-Shutter

Anonymous said...

MIDI-GEM says fabulous blog entry! glad you got to see the exhibits.We loved the new photo of you... JK and I wishing you a great journey up to PARIS. xoxox

Roberta said...

Thanks Nancy!! That explains why they were so efficient. Glad you are enjoying following along ;-)

Roberta said...

Hi Patti and Mom, glad you are enjoying the pics of me, cuz they are really there for you... ;-) xoxoxoxox Roberta