Friday, August 21, 2009

Picasso Museum in Paris is inspiring.... and closing!

Yesterday I saw the Picasso Museum here in Paris. It was truly AWESOME!!! Stunning. Pictures are not allowed, but I took some covert ones (sans flash) until I got caught, which thankfully did not happen until the last room. I wasn't the only one... Anyways, here are some of my favs... (btw, if you click on the pics you can see enlarged versions.)

This was one of my highlights, seeing both of these - and seeing them together!
This was cool...
Such a famous piece, and I saw it!!
This was quite amazing to see in person, I loved it.
Not only did I really like this painting, but it gave me a chance to capture a bit of the spirit of the gallery.
Oooh la la... Picasso knew how to capture the spirit of a woman!
This is one of my fav Picassos of all....
This was amazing, and it was in a big room, so spent lots of time just reflecting on it from different angles...
This was delightful, i's a series of studies, but somehow all together they just pop.
This was neat. This HUGE mural had it's own room and tiered seating.
Just one of the awesome scultpures, I love his whimsey...
This is a cast of Picasso's hand! SO cool to see....
OK, now outside.... This is the front of the building... and there is this HUGE mirro that is something like 4 stories high.... you can see how it is propped up from the left, so I think it is temporary perhaps (?) and done so they could get a start on renovating the building before it shuts down in a few days (I've written about the upcoming closure below).
This is the exit door from the museum, and as people exit you see doubles. It is really interesting, and I may go back to take more shots another day (this is when my battery died).
The sun pouring into the building throught he coloured glass windows and falling on the railings, a very clear effect, captivating.
No, this is not a painting... It is just a reflection on a white wall from the coloured glass in a window.
Me all warped by mirrors in the sculpture garden... Hey, I like the skinny factor!
I got caught taking a picture of Maryanne and Branwen from across the sculture garden, so they got me back....
Me happy and hot in the sculpture garden...
The result of my post-museum doodling while sitting in the museum cafe in the shade afterwards.... solo, I might add... I am a s-l-o-w museum visitor, need lots of time to savour and let what I've experienced sink in, so the girls were off to do more sightseeing while I amused myself in the shade.... this is the result...
If you are inspired to see the museum, unless it is this week, you are going to have to wait awhile... I feel VERY lucky that I happened to be here now, not a month from now!

A little info gathered online:

As the Picasso Museum prepares to close for a two-year refurbishment, the artist’s sketchbook stolen in June is yet to be recovered. The Picasso Museum is closing Aug. 23 for a 20 million euro ($28 million) overhaul to make way for more visitors and upgrade security equipment and wiring. It’s one of several French arts institutions to have been robbed or vandalized recently. As global museums accommodate ever bigger crowds, protecting their collections becomes increasingly tough. (Picasso Sketchbook’s Fate Is Mystery as Museum Security Tested)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

M'GEM loved the "peek-by -blog" look at the PICASSO MUSEUM... I wonder where the Camera was hidden??

Anonymous said...

Trish says: I can't wait for your Next Blog, even if it's a teensy tiny one !! I love all the Europe ones so far !

jian said...

hi there, I somehow stumbled across your blog whilst googling random things...I'm actually living in Vancouver now, but have been travelling around for the last 6 months. It's great to see you've enjoyed so many of the same cities that I travelled to recently!

Anyway I just wanted to leave a comment because I ended up reading your blog for hours and it is a great read. Keep it up! I will certainly be checking in again soon :)

Jian