Sunday, April 07, 2019

Review: The Power of Habit

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and BusinessThe Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Crack the code behind what triggers habits
This book surprised me in that it wasn't what I was seeking, but the sample audio clip was so compelling that I had to know the rest of the story. That need was satisfied, but then the book got into research and case studies about habits. It was starting to feel a little bit too textbooky for me (especially the corporate examples), but I'm glad I hung in there, as it got better again. The components of a habit ~ the trigger, the habitual action and the reward ~ were well explained. Don't skip the epilogue, as it has the best example of how to change a habit (very detailed and practical, based on the author cracking the code behind his afternoon cookie habit). I like the suggestion to study the habits you want to change as an observer, not expecting to overcome them right away. I will probably listen to this book again.

View all my reviews

No comments: