Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Reflections on Cherry Blossoms and More...

A bird's nest downtown Vancouver...
Tulips this morning...
Coolest bike, spotted recently at Portobello West....
I'd love to paint a bike up like this...
Makes me curious about the owner...
It's hard to believe that the cherry blossoms are gone already... they were so marvelous!!! It was only two weeks ago that I paused to take pics of the cherry blossom tunnel, and now the branches are bare. Even the grass below is largely free of the discarded petals. ;-(

The bonus is that you can see birds nests in the empty branches. I saw a couple today in the now barren tunnel.... and the other day I even saw one right downtown at the bus stop at the corner of Davie and Burrard. You know that birds are there, that they must be living somewhere, but you don't usually get to see them.

The planted flowers have been capturing my attention lately, and I've been enjoying the mix of colours in the tulip gardens whereever I go. This morning I tried to take a pic of a cluster of red and pink ones, ripe with the morning dew (or perhaps it had rained earlier?) - but, alas, my camera isn't so great for stuff like that... unless I were to get on my hands and knees and get up close... and it wasn't that kind of moment....

This has me thinking further about this idea I have of getting a digital SLR camera - and really using how to use it. I'm watching my money at the moment, but I think this might give me real pleasure. I do always like to be learning something. On the other hand, it's a rather extravagent indulgence, as it's pretty remarkable what I've been able to shoot so far on my current camera.

Well, cameras. I went to Europe with one camera, and came back with another. The one I went with had given me many years of great service - and I was delighted to figure out that it had digital zoom when I was about a month and a half into my trip (why did I not know this before?!?)... Anyways, it froze up completely in December, so it was off to the little specialty camera store in Rhodes to get a new one.

I knew the store from when I was first in Rhodes, when I picked up some digital memory cards. Had a nice chat with the owner and I bought some lovely cards with pics taken on the island... which I learned were taken by a Russian photographer who had moved to Rhodes a few years previously. So, when my camera died when I was back in December, I knew right where to go.

He was open when I went (yeah!), he remembered me and set me up with a nice little Cool Pix that I was even able to get in turquoise. And a fair price. Oh, and this one I know how to use. Well, a bit more...

Anyways, while I was in the store, a guy came in to drop something off.... and I realized this just might be the Russian - so I asked, and it was. His photographs are truly GLORIOIUS so I was interested to learn a bit more about him, and how he managed to capture them. What ensued was an amazing animated telling of his best stories. Of how he sets out when a big storm comes in to go to a spot serveral hours away where he knows there will be a great pic of a rainbow if/when the sun burns through... sometimes doing this many times at one spot until he gets "the" pic. Along with great antics of getting stuck in the mud somewhere, getting arrested somewhere (was that Italy?) for trespassing, something about a drama that ensued with apples when he was doing a nude photoshoot of a woman in a field... Hmmmm..... I am going to have to give this some thought to see what else I can remember. LOL...

Somewhere I have the photographer's name. I have all these little slips of paper, gathered on my trip, with names and email addresses on them, tucked away. Something I want to do soon is dig them all out. Right now I am pretty busy just sorting my pics. My thousands and thousands of pics....

No comments: