Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Morning Routine - Day 1



I had an interesting chat with a colleague the other day and she was so surprised by something I said about how I'd started my day, as she said all her days start the same. I mean exactly the same (wake up at the same time, eat the same thing for breakfast, leave for work at the same time). Wow. It was a great example of how different we all are. I am SO different. I hate routine, and she thrives on it. So, just for fun, I'll blog my mornings for a few days....

Monday (yesterday):
  • my alarm started at 5:30, i hit snooze
  • rolled over and wondered how, if the weekend was meant for rest, I'd managed only four hours sleep
  • try to get in some light therapy (i have SAD and need to spend 30 or so minutes in front of a big light every day, it's by my bed), do a little kakuro (a puzzle like suduku but on steriods)
  • several rounds of doze, alarm, snooze zzzz
  • at some point, mentally calculate when i need to be in the office, and when i need to leave, decide 8:00
  • get up, maybe 7:15
  • shock when i look in the mirror, oh yeah, i now have purple hair!
  • take prescriptions
  • look in fridge - no red bull
  • another morning of no breakfast food at hand
  • check work email and clean out spam
  • concoct how to gain some breathing room during the day by identifing meetings that can be postponed
  • shower - including the famous vinegar rinse to keep my hair from fading, remember to use the dark towel
  • dress, a good day, as i have lots of clean laundry, ponder a couple tops, and notice that the one i have in my hand has a lot of purple in it's pattern - laugh - it will go with my hair
  • instead of reaching for my usual, fav, slip-on-when-i'm-half-asleep-shoes, i feel a twinge from a little blister so think i should wear something different, dig out chocolate brown part-suede loafer-things with the square toes that I got in NYC a year ago and always forget about
  • reach for my fav spring yellow jacket, then remember, no light colours or fav tops in the first week after getting hair coloured - grab my long red denim coat
  • glance in mirror - i am a jumble of colour, purple hair, red jacket, muticoloured bag
  • look to see if i have any cash to quickly buy something to eat/drink on my way, nope, will involve interac, did i leave enough time for that?
  • it's almost 8:00, time for me to leave, weigh the options of getting to transit with lots of time vs. taking time to grab something and cutting it closer... choose the latter
  • leave home, cute guy in elevator i've not seen before
  • out the door, cross the street to IGA, hang a left to the cash machine, gee, when do i get paid again, what's left? it spits out money, but shows a lower balance than i remember, count the days to payday
  • go to the pastry bins, remember i am going back on my diet later this week, so decide to treat myself with a scone, but 'restrain' myself by getting one without icing
  • head to the deli fridge, but no red bull there, so can't skip the main checkout
  • scoot to the red bull fridge, grab 2 (one for tomorrow) and a small yogurt
  • pay cash - impressive!
  • remember to grab a plastic spoon, and extra napkins to stock up in case i still don't remember to buy tp on the way home
  • 8:05, that went smoothly, shouldn't have to rush too much
  • down Burrard to skytrain, no major incidents along the way, but wonder about the dork who gets out at a stop light to retrieve something from his trunk in the middle of the intersection
  • duck the marketers giving out flyers at the skytrain station, and the 24/metro paper folks
  • down to the skytrain, end up dashing to a train as it pulls in, triumph! i got in before the doors close, and see someone else who wasn't so fast on the other side of the doors -
  • only seat open on the train is my fav seat, which i smugly take (so I do have routines!)
  • breakfast on the train: redbull first, then scone, yogurt
  • doodle
  • get to metrotown, down to 8:45 shuttle, oh, i am the first one there
  • doodle until the shuttle arrives
  • sit in my fav shuttle seat (ah, more routine!)
  • doodle more, but the bumps are tricky
  • arrive at work at 8:50

I'm surprised what I remembered!! This is remarkably fun.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is ACTUALLY hilarious! I am not sure if I may have been "the colleague"...but it is extremely enlightening to read this!
Aside: did you actually post this at 6:38AM or is that my computer clock being wonky? If so..would love to hear the morning start to Tuesday!

Roberta said...

;-)
nope, you weren't the collegue on this one (though intersting that you think it sounds like you!). I'll tell you who it was when I see you.

and, yes, the time stamp is right.

you'll know why when you read the next edition!